Thursday, September 26, 2013

Learning Theories Conversation, Module 2

In math it is often stated that the sum of all parts are equal to the whole.  After reading the blogs and responses of multiple learning theorists, I have come up with a similar statement for learning theories. It is this: No one, single, learning theory is equal to the power of all learning theories combined. 

Reaching this conclusion has been a work in progress, and reading the findings and opinions of leading learning theorists helped me come to this assertion.  First and foremost, the learning _isms have permeated educational thinking for decades.  This is only natural, as it would be impossible to be successful at teaching without understanding how people learn. However, how much of learning can be attributed to one specific learning theory?

I have always felt that all learning theories have always had their merit, but some were more equipped to handle certain aspects of the teaching and learning process.  In reading the banter between the learning theorists Stephen Downes, Bill Kerr, and Karl Kapp, I found myself agreeing with Downes about behaviorism and its relation to education.  While it is understandable that behaviorism can be used to establish and maintain classroom routines and establish a well run classroom management plan, I have always struggled with the application of behaviorist theory to actual content instruction.  While it may come easy for some, behaviorism seems almost useless for teaching content materials and thinking skills.  Because behaviorism is classified as the response to a certain stimulus, I gathered that Kerr categorizes content as stimulus.  But it seems cold and “dehumanising” (Downes word, not mine) to think that students respond to information because they have been conditioned to do so.  This eliminates the use of imagination and creativity as viable solution to problems.

I started this blog with my perspective on learning theories, and my perspective on behaviorism more specifically, to prove a point.  The point was made so elegantly by Kapp in saying that it requires the merger of all learning theories to fully unlock the potential in the teaching and learning process.  As is the case with so many aspects of education, a one-size-fits-all mentality does not exist.

Kerr, B. (2007, January 1). _isms as filter, not blinker [Web log post]. Retrieved fromhttp://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/01/isms-as-filter-not-blinker.html


Kapp, K. (2007, January 2). Out and about: Discussion on educational schools of thought [Web log post]. Retrieved fromhttp://www.kaplaneduneering.com/kappnotes/index.php/2007/01/out-and-about-discussion-on-educational/

2 comments:

  1. John,

    I enjoyed reading your posting. I think you raise some interesting questions in your blog post. It seems like every time I read something on the learning theories I always come away with more questions than answers. I really like the conclusions that you have reached from your readings about how all of the theories are more powerful when used combined instead of on their own. All of the learning theories have had a major impact on students' learning over time. I agree that behaviorist theories are excellent for class management issues and routines in the classroom. However I disagree that it cannot be used for instructional purposes. I think it depends on what grade level you teach and the type of students you have. I have used some behaviorist principles with my ELL students and been successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,

    I agree with you and John, that those who teach and develop the learning experiences should be well-versed in a variety of learning theories, and I also see the value in behaviorism for educational purposes. While John was certainly on the right track by claiming that all learning theories have merit, but I believe it is important to find the best fit and most effective solution for each scenario.

    Blessings,
    Alison

    ReplyDelete