Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Working as a Group, Module 3

Rheingold (2008) makes the assertion that humans have an inherent instinct to work in groups to accomplish a task. While it seems logical and evidence suggests that collaboration has increased over the past few decades, I believe that this is a learned trait and not something that is a basic instinct as Rheingold suggests.  


Today's problems, regardless of area or profession, are so complex that it requires the brain power of multiple people working together on a common task.  However, it would seem that this is a means to an end and not something that is entrenched in the psyche of the individuals.  In fact, I would say that many individuals prefer independent work based on previous experiences working as a group or in a collaborative setting.  Let's be honest, we have all been involved in a negative group experience where we thought "I could just do this myself" and it turn out a whole lot better.  

Looking specifically at Wikipedia as an example of collaboration, I would contend that Wikipedia stretches the definition of collaboration.  On the surface, Wikipedia is the hub of information that people are able to edit based on their findings.  However, is true collaboration possible without real interaction between those participating?  While there are multiple editors of information, they are working independently to manage and edit information.  This site is the house of information edited independently.


While I may be in the minority in my thinking, collaboration and working together is a learned behavior and not something that is ingrained in all individuals.




4 comments:

  1. I am in agreement with your honest reflection on working as a group versus independently. When working in a group it is an understanding that the strength of the group is based on the individuals within. Though there may be attempts to keep the group strong, the results of such efforts look quite different in an online environment versus a face-to-face environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!!
    Great post John. I appreciate your honesty and candor within your post. Your sentiments resonate with me as well. I have had many "collaborative group" scenarios that did not turn out so well. In many instances 1 or 2 people end up doing all the work. I really believe that group work through distance education seems contrived and busy work to simply meet requirements or to say we did it. The process does not have a natural flow and seems forced. I have the same feelings about discussions in reference to it being forced. I often compare the DE scenario to the classroom scenario because when you discuss issues or subject matter in a f2f setting you do not have to cite references you just talk based on your opinion and that typically is based upon knowledge and your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comments that most people would rather work independently than in a group. I do not think the desire to work together collaboratively is as prominent in today's society as some people may believe. I also agree that Wikipedia is a poor example of collaboration. In my opinion, collaboration involves face to face interaction between people discussing the issue they have been assigned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To All,
    I try very hard not to be cynical, but to me collaboration is no different than any other best practices strategy. I am a firm believer in learning styles and how an individual learns best. I, for one, do not learn best in group settings and prefer to interpret information in my own way. I also prefer to do assignments my way in my time. This is not to offend anyone, but simply my preference. Troy made a great comment when he referred to group work as forced. To say that collaboration is great and have students work in groups for the sake of working in groups in counterproductive to the learning process and creates further negative experiences for those that already dread the mandatory group work.

    ReplyDelete